1 Million Solar Lights
As we celebrate achieving 1 million solar light sales across Africa, now feels like a good time think a little about how this incredible milestone has been achieved.
In truth, there is no single reason. Instead, there are many ingredients. If forced to summarise in a few bullet points (that’s what blogs are for – right?), I’d say the ingredients are:
- Unbelievable supporters who always believed in us
- Unwavering commitment and self-belief of our teams (Thanks guys)
- Appetite to try, fail and learn
- Not being afraid to disregard the ideas that don’t quite work
- When something starts to work, adopt it, adapt it, evolve it, replicate it and focus
- Ever improving value of the solar lights we sell
- A bit of luck (but ya make your own luck…right!?)
I have learned an incredible amount on this journey, from the very first light we made…which you can see here (yes we have it on video!) to the celebration of reaching a million, which you can see here.
We’ve had plenty of challenges over the years and I (and everyone at SolarAid and its social enterprise SunnyMoney) will continue to learn, as the journey towards eradicating the kerosene light from Africa continues. But so long as we stick to the bullet points above, I know that it won’t be too long before we’re celebrating our next million.
Thanks to everyone for believing – it’s a dream come true.