Pico-solar Electric Systems: Book Release
I’m thrilled to announce the release of my book:
(Please share and retweet!)
Pico-solar electric systems are a category of small solar systems, revolutionising off-grid communities in developing countries and increasingly common in urban centres as a means to charge low power appliances from mobile phones and lighting to digital bus stops.
The book covers a wide range of subjects and will be of particular interest to Social Entrepreneurs; NGOs and development workers; Business, social science and technical students; Manufacturers; and anyone interested in how pico-solar can quickly and effectively reduce reliance on fossil fuels and tackle poverty at the same time.
Below is a quick snap shot of some of the topics includes in the book:
- A comprehensive overview of this cutting-edge technology and an in-depth analysis of the growing market and the increasing array of devices which can be powered by pico-solar (it’s not just LED lights and mobile phones!)
- An overview of the rapidly evolving technology and the increasing array of small electronic devices which can be powered by pico-solar systems
- Guidance on how to care for, maintain and repair systems as well as what to look for when choosing which system is right for you
- The socio-economic and environmental benefits of pico-solar systems – such as how electric light can improve education and health and safety conditions as well as contribute to local and national economies.
- Selling pico-solar at the base of the pyramid (BoP): With a focus on the challenges facing the sector and insights into how companies are finding solutions so that they can effectively reach and serve customers living without electricity access at the BoP.
- Case studies of enterprising and pioneering organisations across the world – including Greenlight Planet and Orb in India and Fosera and SolarAid’s SunnyMoney in Africa
- Future trends in this fast moving and rapidly growing sector
Special thanks to
- Kat Harrison who wrote a chapter on the social impact of pico-solar systems (Check out her great blog Sunrise Kat
- Solar expert and pioneer Mark Hankins for permitting reuse of materials from his book Stand Alone Solar Electric Systems
- Series Editor Frank Jackson
- Many more (who I thank in the book itself!)